sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Glibc and kernel headers(fwd from sm-commits)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Glibc and kernel headers(fwd from sm-commits)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 07:41:17 +0100 (CET)

I'm just forwarding this to discuss so that it can be better discussed:

:2009-03-26T09:51:Ladislav Hagara:

> We should ensure we all have the same headers.
> Seems glibc doesn't use last headers by default, that should be changed.
> I know there are developers who don't agree with it. Even glibc from our
> iso does't use sanitized headers.

Agree with the ensure the same headers. Disagree with what those should
be...

What they should be is something either UPSTREAM or WE package. If
upstream one less thing for us. If we then it should be part of the
glibc spell update to always update to latest headers and let people
test it out and see if anything breaks. If nothing that should go in as
stable and be done with it. Then when next glibc release is out repeat
with newer headers. If someone wants to update the headers in between
then so be it but they should be a static target not a moving target as
defined by upstream linux and our current spell setup.

Hope this will get something out of it.

--
Andraž ruskie Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

  • [SM-Discuss] Glibc and kernel headers(fwd from sm-commits), Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik, 03/27/2009