sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Dependency Tree Quality

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Dependency Tree Quality
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:58:36 +0100

On Sunday 22 of March 2009 13:27:50 Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As some of you may know I'm working on a new and improved script to find
> missing library dependencies, which is much faster than the old
> findLibDepends.sh and uses readelf to read the dynamic section instead
> of relying on ldd which also lists second and higher level dependencies.
>
> The script is not yet fully up to working order, I still need to handle
> sorcery providers correctly and I still need to get my index updates
> watertight, though using the script I have made a list of all missing
> dependencies of the spells installed on one of the boxes I maintain. I
> have put this list up on the wiki[0] so that we can start resolving
> these missing dependencies, thus improving the quality of our dependency
> tree which is currently lacking.
>
> I would request everyone who has a bit of time to spare to look at the
> list, pick one or more spells and resolve its missing dependencies. Of
> course doing so requires checking whether the dependency is optional or
> not and correctly adding the dependencies to the DEPENDS files. There
> are bound to be some optional dependencies which cannot be configured
> through a package's configure script or similar for which we would need
> to file upstream bugs.
>
> I hope working together we can all help to improve the quality of our
> dependency tree, hopefully lowering the possibility of breakages
> significantly.
Would it be hard to generate a subset list of spells excluding missing
dependencies provided indirectly? Those are the undoubtedly missing
dependencies (once you sort out providers) and have the highest impact.
Seeing how the list is long, I think it would be good to prioritise on them
and whatever needs to be done for libxcb.

LP
--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org