sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] SMGL wiki theme v1.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juan Carlos Torres <jucato AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] SMGL wiki theme v1.0
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:53:20 +0800

Greetings mages!

I'm submitting what I could consider as a first stable release of the wiki theme.

A working example is on http://jucato.org/moin . The theme has been made to run on MoinMoin 1.8.1 (not sure what version our server is running though) and has been tested on Konqueror 4.2.1, Firefox 3.0.5, and Arora 0.5 (using QtWebKit from SVN 2009-02-14).

Some of the changes I've included since the last announcement:

* Fixed the visited links color
* Fixed color for search buttons (they're intentionally grayed out when inactive/disabled)
* Fixed the "idiom" for current and on-hover links in the sidebar. The background color no longer extends to the empty space at the sides of the links, giving the wrong impression that the spaces are also clickable.
* Underlined links. I have to make a bit of a compromise here. While I do agree with emrys that links should remain underlined for the sake of usability and accessibility, I believe that it posses a bit of a readability problem in wikis, where links with underscores are common. So instead of a solid unerline, I opted to use dotten lines for links.
* Double checked all the fonts and made sure they used em's. AFAIK, em is a relative font size, not fixed. I may be wrong, so please correct me (with links to standard documentation of course :)

But my work is far from over, and there are two more things I have planned for the next version:

1. If possible, make the empty space beside links in the sidebar also clickable *without* messing up the appearance of links. At the moment, if I use a display:block property to make that possible, the dotted underline for links also extend to the empty space.

2. Implement a stationary sidebar+header. I'm personally undecided on this issue, but I figured if it can be done properly, I might as well try. My first attempts were to do it on the CSS level. However, that only works best with a stationary sidebar only. The problem with a stationary header is that once someone clicks on a link further down the page, a part of the page that should be displayed (the part where the anchor is) is hidden beneath the header. So this problem applies even on a header-only, no sidebar theme. I haven't researched on other methods, like SSI. It still reeks of frames, but meh. :P

That's it for now. I'm not a professional web designer/developer, so this theme represents the extent of my current knowledge. Any help/pointers for better implementation (technical stuff, not just aesthetics) is very much wanted and appreciated.

Thanks!

--

Regards,

Juan Carlos G. Torres