sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master sorcery by Jaka Kranjc (b04e448cba60b964e57245a512770e6d5f0a42bb)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Remko van der Vossen" <wich AT stack.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master sorcery by Jaka Kranjc (b04e448cba60b964e57245a512770e6d5f0a42bb)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:59:25 +0100 (CET)

> On Wednesday 25 of February 2009 14:33:14 Remko van der Vossen wrote:
>> Why revert completely back to the old behaviour? I think it's good that
>> we
>> try to be more strict in this kind of handling, we just shouldn't change
>> it indiscriminately, because we know stuff will break. How about
>> changing
>> it just so that it gives a big fat warning if the return value is non
>> zero, leave it like that for a while (i.e. up to and including the next
>> test release, or perhaps even stable) so that spells bugs will be
>> discovered and can be resolved. Then change it to enforce it with the
>> return $? once the warning has been in test sorcery or even stable for a
>> while.
> I accomplished what I wanted - the install-info mistery has been solved
> and
> awareness is higher. There are more of the spell implementations to fix,
> but
> now we know what needs to be done and why (thanks George).

Yes, that is good, but as you say there is more and it would be very
helpful if sorcery would report on those issues. And indeed, many thanks
to George for all the work he did solving the various spells.

> Warnings wouldn't do any good. In case of install-info we had *errors* and
> yet
> nobody cared. Nobody reported any issues with other kinds of PRE_REMOVE
> and
> POST_REMOVE files.

Well, I think a large part of that is just that it scrolls by way too
quickly, big loud sorcery warnings in RED, like we have when you for
instance do a config_query_option OPTS ..., preferably repeated at the end
of a cast would stand out way more and would also encourage end users to
report bugs on them.

> These two are just like any other spell file and should exit succesfully
> if
> all went well.

Definately, which is exactly the reason I would encourage you to make
sorcery scream loudly if they don't. Leaving it completely numb simply
serves to open the door to these kinds of spells bugs to creep back in.

Remko van der Vossen.