sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updating tar with devel sorcery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updating tar with devel sorcery
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:01:05 +0100

On Thursday 01 of January 2009 16:34:00 you wrote:
> > Nothing funky happened to Sorcery, it just became more strict. There were
> > always install-info errors (you get them with test sorcery too), but now
> > they are fatal if they cause POST_REMOVE (or PRE_REMOVE) to fail.
> > Like I said before, consider this an incentive to finally fix these long
> > standing bugs. The candidates are easy to find, the fix pretty simple
> > (just remember to add a repair file) and Vlad was already working on one
> > for tar, so you should also have a reference soon.
>
> Why is this new restriction necessary, anyway? To me it seems all it
> does is create more requirements for spell writers when they (us) have a
> lot of things to take into account already.
>
> I have to admit, our spells aren't in any way simple anymore. Everything
> seem to become more and more complex as time goes by. There's a limit to
> what you can do with bash, and I'm thinking about trying to write a
> completely new kind of package manager.
There is no new requirement or complexity (here). If you're adding a
POST_REMOVE file, add a working one. I consider that common sense.

> I'm a currently very frustrated about gnupg also failing with devel
> sorcery. I wonder how many others we will have to screw around with now.
Potentially around 150. We have almost a hundred* different implementations
of
that file, so I'm sure only a fraction need to be fixed.

* as reported by find -name POST_REMOVE -exec md5sum {} \; | awk '{print
$1}' | sort | uniq -c | wc -l

LP
--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org