sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] man-db (Was: Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: Source Mage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] man-db (Was: Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:02:40 -0500 (CDT)

Justin,

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, flux wrote:

As for the "cosmetic" difference, are you aware that you can actually change the pager for man? Ours by default is less, but you can use any pager you like, as that's configurable.

Yes. I think the first distro I saw man-db on was Debian. After I had switched to another distro I was trying to duplicate the functionality. I dug around trying to figure out how Debian's man pager was configured, etc. It took me a while to finally figure out that Debian was using a different man package. Actually, man-db is using less as it's pager by default, but it does so in a way that displays that status line.

I know the whatis updates on Debian were very fast. It's package system automatically fired off a trigger whenever a package installed or updated man pages that performed a whatis update. The updates too a few seconds at most to run.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX