sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome nominations

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT stack.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome nominations
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:28:50 +0200

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 12:11:31PM +0200, Mathieu Lonjaret wrote:
> I love LaTeX and use it for most of my docs, but I think it would be
> a mistake to impose it on possible contributors. We should at least
> leave the choice to the doc writer whether or not he wants to write in
> plaintext, wiki syntax, or LaTeX (or troff!).
> Then it could be up to the Tome Lead (hehe, sorry ryuji) or some delegate
> of him to format it to whatever final language we adopt.

Uhmn, why? We oblige devs to write sorcery and spells in bash. Not zsh,
not ksh, not tcsh, not C, not C++, not Perl, not Pythen, not whatever,
but bash. And for good reason, requiring a lead to continually do
translations would be mad, I can't think of anyone who'd be willing to
do that. Why would we require this of a Tome lead? Documentation should
be in a fixed markup and all devs should accomodate, whatever the choice
will be. Of course we should choose wisely, choosing something the
majority of us is happy with.

Regards,

Remko van der Vossen