sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Java web apps don't seem to work

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Java web apps don't seem to work
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:09:20 -0700

Quoting astsmtl AT gmail.com:

So I have an x86 SMGL installation with jdk6-bin installed and firefox
3.0 (from test grimoire). Using "about:plugins" in Firefox shows Java
as enabled, but when I go to the test page
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml, I do not see the
dancing logo. :( (I'm trying to get this working since my work uses
Java, and I could almost get rid of Windows if I get this working ;),
and yes, I have tried other Java web applets, but this is a simple
test to get it working). Flash and other plug-ins (e.g.
mplayerplug-in) work fine.

In Firefox under Edit -> Preferences -> Content, I have "Enable Java"
selected.

This didn't work with Firefox 2, either, but I'm finally taking the
time to try and fix it. :)

Hi.

$ gaze FINAL libxcb

You can check if that's your case if you launch firefox from terminal and
visit a page with applet.

Going to the test site above gives the following:
$ firefox
java_vm process: Couldn't find class sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:276)
Could not read ack from child process
Plugin: Java VM process has died.
plugin: java process exited with status 5
Could not start JavaVM!

VM did not start up properly
java_vm process: Couldn't find class sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:276)
Could not read ack from child process
Plugin: Java VM process has died.
Could not start JavaVM!

VM did not start up properly

Trying with the libxcb/FINAL fix does not change this. jdk6-bin does not seem to install sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin (nor anything under sun/ except some examples and demos).

Does anyone have Java web apps working with our jdk6-bin spell or do we need to go back to dkowis' way/fix the current install? Installing jre6-bin works just fine, so my guess is it's the way I updated jdk6-bin to install (:p David), though I'm pretty sure it used to work, perhaps I never tested web apps and no one noticed (except me) until now. ;)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285