sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] mac80211 compile error

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Craig Dyke <grail69 AT amnet.net.au>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] mac80211 compile error
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:51:40 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Craig Dyke wrote:
Hi All

I have been working to get my wireless connection working on my laptop.

After some searching, both on our site and Google, I have found that the iwlwifi spell is the
way I should proceed to support my ipw3945 card.

My issue is with the dependance on the mac80211 spell asthis will not compile for me.

My problem seems to come in after the patches have been applied to the kernel files,
specifically (at this point as it is as far as i have gotten) the ieee80211.c file which is patched by
this spell.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this issue as searching on Google yielded
no results.

This card is working fine on my box. I assume you are using the
2.6.24+ kernels. If so, the iwlwifi driver is built in to the kernel
and you should use that (plus the built-in mac80211) instead of the
external drivers.

mac80211 and iwlwifi are only needed for older than 2.6.24 kernels.
Note that you will still need the iwlwifi-*-ucode package for your
card.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | Build/Release Engineer @ Cisco/WebEx
http://counter.li.org/ #196285 | http://www.webex.com/