sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Clarification before Issue Vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Clarification before Issue Vote
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:29:10 -0600

Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> In my opinion this should mean they are automatically removed as a general
> developer, but as stated we still need to vote on their removal before it
> becomes official.
[snip]
> The Voting Policy[2] states:
> So do we still need to do an official vote, but no one is required to vote
> since it automatically passes?

That's how it reads to me.

> Also, "activity" should either be redefined to allow for non-code
> contributions (maintaining wiki, spreading the good word, system
> maintainence, etc.) or we should have another category to list them in
> honor,
> but not confuse them with our "code monkeys". :)

This is probably worth considering. I think I'd agree with that -
though I'm guessing the reason we don't have it now is that we probably
don't have all that many people who would fall in such a category.

> I would also like to add a note stating that extenuating circumstances
> (e.g.
> e.g. hospitalization, military service, political service) reported to
> their
> respective Component Lead *before* their time is up may mitigate the
> automatic nomination/second (and removal if that's added).

Well, I think the opportunity for everyone to vote against the removal
is the failsafe to deal with both of these issues. I understand what
you're saying about the work, but it seems to me like a nice way to
avoid someone getting overlooked that way.

> A third note I would like to add is what do we do with the developer's
> accounts once they are removed (or they leave)? Disable? Delete? Leave
> alone?

I'm in favor of either disabling the accounts with a date notation for
when they should be deleted - or just deleting them outright. Lots of
disabled accounts cluttering things up is just asking for a security risk.
And as you say, it's not that hard to re-add an account. If it mattered
in terms of "seniority" or something then perhaps it would require more
care but we're not that political...at least not as far as I can tell.