sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Serial Port Redrector?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Matthew Clark <matthewclark AT inlesserterms.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Serial Port Redrector?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:31:02 -0600

I would like to know if anyone's got any suggestions on a serial port redirector for Linux. And, since there are a handful of other terms which define the same thing, allow me to illustrate my concept: I have an Axis 2490 serial server [0]. It has a serial port and an Ethernet port. I want to create a pseudo tty in Linux, but instead of talking to a COM port on the host PC, I want all of that to be redirected to an IP:port (aka, the Axis). I'm certain many of you are familiar with this already.

I have found a project called remserial [1], and it appears to work (I can issue commands to the remote serial device and get some data back); I have a serial device that I am talking to over Ethernet, but I am having data issues, and after trying remserial on a few other SMGL boxes, with identical results, I am beginning to wonder if there's some odd "thing" that makes remserial not work right on SMGL.

I know the Axis is working properly, because when I use a serial port redirector in Windows, I have flawless communications. Thus, my problem appears to be with remserial itself (although, there are a few others out there on the 'net who are doing what I am trying to do, and they use remserial).

So, here's my main question: does anyone know of a serial port redirector (other than remserial)? I'm really not asking anyone to help troubleshoot my serial server -- I just can't seem to find anything like remserial, and am looking to others more adept than I to offer advice...

[0] http://www.axis.com/products/cam_2490/
[1] http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/

- Matthew Clark (MaffooClock)

  • [SM-Discuss] Serial Port Redrector?, Matthew Clark, 12/17/2007