sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] testing kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] testing kde4
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:21:22 -0500

Quoting Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:

kde4 in test is now at version 3.95.0

I have built all of the spells, on an amd32 with xorg-6.9.0 and on amd64 with
xorg-modular.

I had problems with two spells on my old xorg setup, which may be related to
my xorg configuration.

Most of the programs appear in my normal kde3 menu and can be run from there,
otherwise start them manually from /opt/bin.

For the more adventurous, you can try to run a full kde4 desktop.

1. create a user who belongs to the group kde4
2. disable the init script kdm
3. enable the init script kdm4
4. change the default displaymanager in /etc/sysconfig/facilities
5. after restarting at level 5, it should now be possible to login to the new
user and encounter the strange new world of kde4. Lots of right clicking may
be useful.

The first time login may be rather slow, as it builds lots of new data caches.

At present kde4 is configured to keep the desktop data in ~/.kde4
(see /etc/profile.d/kde4.sh). This means that if you use the same user for
both kde3 and kde4, the desktop settings can be completely different. It
also means that your existing email is safe in the other desktop.

It is also possible to run a kde4 desktop on top of your normal desktop, but I
shall explain that another time.

The next release is due in about 3 weeks.
--
Regards, Treeve

Pretty sweet! I may have to give kde4 a spin :) Thanks for the work you've done on this :D

--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |