sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master games grimoire by Thomas Orgis (b5dfe26a41e44da40eb1ea1a782ab1729ddaaf7b)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master games grimoire by Thomas Orgis (b5dfe26a41e44da40eb1ea1a782ab1729ddaaf7b)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:27:49 -0700

Quoting Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>:
<snip>
I still have to get around the idea of changing history being good (when one makes a better one;-).
In the nonlinear git (and Orwell's 1984) that seems like the thing to do.
Will try to follow that in future.

I'm not talking about changing HISTORY files, but for incomplete commits to revert the incomplete commit and re-commit with *all* the intended changes.

Example:
I update linux to 2.6.99-42wow by adding info/patches/wow/2.6.99-42wow and updating HISTORY. I commit and push. Later I realize I forgot the GPG signatures, so instead of just adding them, committing, and pushing, I *should* revert my linux update to 2.6.99-42wow, redo my changes (if I use `git reset` properly I won't have to redo anything other than what I missed), add the signatures, commit and push. This way the entire 2.6.99-42wow update is available in one commit id, rather than two (or more).

I'm not talking specifically about your change Thomas, just FYI. ;) I just had time and the inclination to bring this subject up as I was reading yours and it happened to exhibit some of the behaviour I'm talking about.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285