sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Adding more required packages to the stable release process

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Adding more required packages to the stable release process
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:00:44 -0700

David Kowis wrote:
<snip>
> Only question is why? nmap? That's not really needed to make a distro
> work. Nor is ethstatus or links or uptimed. The optional-list was just
> stuff thrown together. I don't believe it is a good place to start.
> Eventually, afaik, that list will mutate as things are done differently
> in cauldron. I believe we should packages that we deem important
>
> Filesystem packages (reiserfs, jfs, xfstools) etc. are good.
> Openssl, openssh, good also.
>
> Lets add them a few at a time based off importance and use, not a whole
> lot based off whats in an (obsolete, really) optional list. (not that an
> "optional" list can get obsolete, but that's the best term I can come up
> with)

Whether or not they are "important" (which I agree some are not) I added
them as they are on the ISO. My goal, at this time, is to get all of the
packages installed (and installable) from the ISO to match our stable
criteria.

If we care to update the optional-list, or may obtain what will be in
the optional-list for the next stable ISO, then I would accept that in
lieu of the current optional-list. ;)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285