sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc-bash rebuild problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc-bash rebuild problem
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:35:41 +0200

Am Mon, 14 May 2007 08:33:32 +0200
schrieb Ingo Arndt <scachi AT gmx.de>:

> I have installed Sourcemage using the ISO 0.9.6.3 on a new machine,
> everything was working fine up to the rebuild (stable grimoire)...
> After the sorcery / scribe update and rebuild I have now a problem as
> I can't log in anymore because glibc rebuild/update has failed and now bash
> tells me: "/lib/libc.so.6: Version GLIB_2.4 not found (required by -bash)"
>
> How can I fix this ?

Eeek! You downgraded glibc, afaics.

glibc PREPARE (gah, rewrapping messed this up - I hope one still gets the
meaning):

if [[ $(uname -r) = 2.6.* ]]; then
if test "$HOST" == "i386-pc-linux-gnu"; then
message "[[ ${QUERY_COLOR}Not building with NPTL as that's
unsupported on i386; use i486 or higher.${DEFAULT} ]]"
config_set_option GLIBC_NPTL n else
config_query GLIBC_NPTL "As you are running a 2.6 kernel, would
you like to use the new nptl (Native Posix Thread Libary)?" y
config_query GLIBC_USEIDN "Would you like to compile glibc with
libidn support?" y fi fi &&
[...]

When GLIBC_NPTL=n, you will install glibc-2.3.6, which is a bad idea
when you are currently running glibc-2.4 . Di you change to a 2.4 kernel?
Did you set the architecture to i386 - or indeed said "no" to the query?

Perhaps we should prevent a glibc downgrade from happening unless
INSTALL_ROOT is set. I _will_ break your system.
(With INSTALL_ROOT, you are able to create a downgraded-glibc chroot
with static linking in the first run and recompile inside).

What you now need is a cache tarball of glibc-2.4 which you untar from
a boot cd (or your busybox-based rescue initramfs;-)... or just reinstall.

Thomas.