sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] new grimoire lead todo

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] new grimoire lead todo
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:01:45 -0700

On Friday 30 March 2007 10:05:29 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> No offense, but we haven't seen an update to that in a very long time. I
> know you *are* doing work on it actively now, but can you make a scratch
> wiki grimoire policy page to hold these things/refer people to until the
> handbook is there? These questions come up pretty often during the release
> cycles and not everyone remembers it all.

I can and will do that.

> > Once a week is likely (as you stated earlier) more than we'd need, so
> > this should be fine.
>
> Someone should check daily for tarballs needed by security integrations, if
> nothing else. Ideally there is someone around when those integrations are
> needed to make the tarball but that doesn't always happen.

Very true, we'll try to have someone to at least check for security updates
every day.

> > Given we can keep up a two week release cycle for stable, then I'll agree
> > to this. ;) Since if we do it my way, the two week release cycle would
> > bog down and probably not make it in two weeks.
>
> Well, we don't have a two-week cycle now, we have closer to a four-week
> cycle. Between two or three weeks to do the release, and a week-or-so in
> between. Which I still think is plenty fast enough.
>
> That brings up another question; I think all of you talked about making a
> longer release cycle during the election. What timeline are you thinking?
> IMO the 4 week thing is working well; plannning to always branch the next
> -rc on the 1st of the month makes it easy. If we make it longer I don't
> think it will actually buy us any more time; people already wait til the
> few days before to do most of the work and the longer we go the more work
> there is to do.

I was thinking we were on a two-week cycle and wanting to slow it to a 4-week
cycle, which we apparently have been on, so we're good to go. ;)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285