sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] TX Bug Fix Party?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] TX Bug Fix Party?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:27:37 -0500

On Jan 19, Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> How would you SMGLers in TX like to get together some Saturday/weekend for
> a bug fix party? I'm thinking a local house or hotel or bar or business
> with laptops, bean bags, drinks, and wifi and we fix bugs til we pass out*,
> then wake up and do it some more.

Well, we did the first of these this last Saturday. We didn't get as much
done as I would have liked, mostly because of people's time constraints and
some technical difficulties. Hopefully next time we can be more organized
ahead of time and get more done.

We spent around 8 hours, and did manage to commmit fixes for 43 quickfix
bugs, leaving 68 more. I'll call that more impressive than it sounds since
it turns out a lot of the bugs flagged "quickfix" are not necessarily that
quick to fix on further inspection. Some things that look like simple
missing depends turned out to be sub depends issues or broken makefiles or
the like. Add another 5 or so that didn't get fixed but got the quickfix
flag removed once we realized they weren't all that easy.

We also did some work on the wiki, mostly implementing some of the cleanup
discussed by the RDP. We confirmed and deleted most of the "useless"
pages listed at http://wiki.sourcemage.org/rdp_progress and also removed
any dead links from the wiki index page.

We didn't really get into any of the "big project" stuff we wanted to work
on, again, mostly because of time limitations. We'll try to get into those
things earlier next time. And I'll be working on some of them myself soon
regardless.

Contributors included me and other regular SMGL devs David Kowis and Dave
Josephsen (who finally crawled out of his workload cave and picked up git,
yay), new dev Mark Bainter (who is one of the backup sysadmins and has been
observing for a while and did some bugzilla patches before), and a couple
of other guys from this area who helped out with the wiki grunt work stuff.

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] TX Bug Fix Party?, Jeremy Blosser, 03/26/2007