sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Where is hotplug?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Where is hotplug?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:50:18 +0200

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 08:22, Matthew Clark wrote:
> I'm going to apologize in advance for this questions which is very
> likely a stupid one, but I cannot find the answer I need:
>
> I have kernel 2.6.20.3 and udev, which means I do not have hotplug. I
> have some firmware files than I need to place in "the hotplug firmware
> directory", but I haven't a clue where that would be...
>
> To be more specific, I'm setting up ivtv drivers for a supported card.
> I've done this before, but it was a while back, and I think I had
> hotplug back then.
>
> Hotplug/udev/kernel or ivtv gurus, I need your help.

I believe "hotplug firmware" refers not to hotplug the program, but any
program that will load firmware upon receiving certain kernel events. Udev
does this and our udev spell has firmware loading rules. I have ipw2200 and
ipw3945 wireless devices in my two laptops, and putting the firmwares
in /lib/firmware has always worked. It's a rather standard location, although
all distros aren't in complete agreement over it. I hope it works for you. :)

PS: Linux Journal's Editor in Chief Nicholas Petreley spent a good part of
one
of his /var/opinion columns [0] venting about not finding the right firmware
dir. Just to let you know that this stuff can get the best of even the
seasoned veteran. :)

[0] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9271

--
Juuso Alasuutari