sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] patchlevel policy (was: [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by George Sherwood (292a7f9e7d77105c79938a66282c13e69f097bb0))

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] patchlevel policy (was: [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by George Sherwood (292a7f9e7d77105c79938a66282c13e69f097bb0))
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:54:00 +0100

On Thursday 08 of March 2007 00:56:26 Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 07:28:07PM +0100, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> > >
> > > I still either have to ignore them (which causes the queues to get
> > > bigger, and makes it harder to notice new ones that I need to review),
> > > or I have to cast them, which requires testing and validating on my
> > > end, no matter what HISTORY says changed. I promise you no one running
> > > a responsible production environment is going to take upstream's word
> > > for it when receiving any patch to apply.
> >
> > I wonder if a simple script that would hack the tablet would work without
> > major breakage (simple grepping shows only gaze patchlevels).
>
> Im not sure what you mean by hack the tablet. Modifying the tablet outside
> of sorcery is not supported, nor should this practice be encouraged or
> suggested. The tablet is an internal sorcery structure. Hands off.
That's why I used the term 'hack'.

> Sorcery hold on the other hand, is supported, as would be some other
> scheme built on top of existing sorcery interfaces (gaze). You dont
> have to use sorcery queue if you dont want to...
sorcery hold isn't good enough for this. If you hold a spell it won't ever
get
queued again, unless you unhold it. So it is useless if you just want to
ignore for example a specific patchlevel change. The same would probably
apply to a gaze wrapper.

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org