sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] git notes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] git notes
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:50:36 -0600

A few of notes on git usage for developers:

- A few of you have apparently been using http:// for git fetch and pull,
so you don't have to authenticate for these operations. Please use
git:// instead. This doesn't require auth either and is much better at
reliably detecting the state of the repository and branches. http:// is
officially not supported (by me) as a way to get updates from our repos.
I'm leaving it enabled for now because it has some other uses but it's
really just there for experimental purposes. Use git:// for pull and
ssh:// for push (or ssh:// for both).

- git 1.5.0 was released this week and has a lot of cool changes, including
some much improved branch namespace management that will hopefully get
rid of some of the confusion people have around local vs remote vs origin
branch names. We have not updated our project git guides for this
release, but we will soon. Any of you that are comfortable with the idea
are encouraged to try out 1.5.0 and give some feedback on improvements we
can make in our usage. I will probably wait to update the server til it
has a little more shakedown time, but most of the functionality changes
are client-side anyway.

- Please *do* update to 1.4.4.4 as soon as you can. There are various
repository optimizations I'd like to enable that are only supported in
versions at least this new. I'll give reasonable time to update (1.4.4.4
is just hitting the stable grimoire in 0.7), but I will be turning this
on sometime relatively soon and you'll need updated clients to continue
using the repository.