sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] experimental KDE4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] experimental KDE4
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:13:39 +0100

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:33:26AM -0500, Jeremy A. Kolb wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, George Sherwood wrote:

> > On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:35:43 +0100
> > Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be> wrote:
> >
> > > as you may know, kde4, based on qt4, is very different to kde3, and
> > > is due for release at the end of the year. The kde project has
> > > started to release some developer snapshots.
> > >
> > > I have manage to write a spell which can compile kdelibs4 on a spare
> > > partition, as a 64 bit system using xorg-modular. If nobody else has
> > > already looked at this, I will gradually add the complete set of kde4
> > > spells and then release a separate kde4 section or grimoire,
> > > otherwise I shall just stop the experiment
> >
> > I had all these spells compiling, but couldn't really get it to run.
> > Something was crashing at the beginning, I think it couldn't find
> > dbus. It was running, but pretty much useless.
> >

> I've seen that dbus problem with a lot of other applications. I don't
> think our dbus setup is quite right.

I wrote about that in some other thread too. The dbus session bus has to
be started correctly, and that's up to
a) the desktop environment/session manager if in use
b) the user

There's really not a lot we can do as I see it, though there might be
some options missing in some session mangers for it to work
automatically.
GDM2 has an option to start the session with dbus-launch, that *should*
take care of it, but I'm not sure if that works correctly.

The way to do it by hand is to run
eval $(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)
in your .xsession/.xinitrc if using some session manager or the same
without the --exit-with-session if not.

http://www.sourcemage.org