sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Temporary Cauldron Lead election speech

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Temporary Cauldron Lead election speech
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:30:57 +0100

Heya everyone,

So, I guess it's time I whip up a little speech. They're always fun.

For those of you who haven't seen me recently (which is probably a goodly
bunch, as I haven't exactly been super active lately), I'm Karsten, aka
BearPerson on IRC. I don't usually work on grimoire stuff (except when
ruskie needs a quick script to change ~1000 spells in one go), but I've
been a sorcery developer and am currently one of the ISO developers.
I'm also a freenode staffer, a CS student, and a 19-year-old male, but
those things tend to not matter much ;-)

The main question probably is, what will I do if I become Cauldron Lead?
Well, for one thing, I'll spend more time working on the ISO again.
Partly, because Jeremy will make me ;-), partly because I will take the
vote to mean that you trust me and would like me to spend more of my time
on SMGL.
For another thing, my main focus will be automating the ISO build process.
I started out on the ISO team by writing a suite of scripts that should
help generating an ISO from scratch (meaning without needing a previous
ISO), and doing so reproducibly. Over time, I've added wrapper scripts
to automate things further, eventually aiming to get "to generate an ISO,
press this button." We're not quite there yet, but I believe that we can
make it happen. Once we have automated, reproducible ISO builds, nothing
should stop us from having "nightly builds" and automated test setups.

Also, I'll try to make sure that pretty much everyone on the Cauldron
Team will be able to generate an ISO. We've had some trouble in the past
with nobody around who knew how to make an ISO, I intend to put a stop to
that.

What I won't focus on as much are regular releases. Yes, I will try to
get a minor ISO release on every stable grimoire release, and automated
ISO generation should help there. However, I think experience shows that
we can't really seem to make "on-the-spot" release dates, at least not
yet. For now, I intend to iron out our generation process, and stick with
releases defined by a set of bugs and feature requests on bugzilla being
solved.

Also, I won't drive towards a 1.0 ISO at all costs. In my opinion, we
should first make sure our generation process is straight and we could
release something pretty much anytime, anywhere we have a smgl system
with an up-to-date sorcery and grimoire. Then, we make sure we have all
features we plan to have on a 1.0. And once we have everything running
smoothly, then and only then are we really a "1.0" as a linux distrbution.

So Far,
Karsten "BearPerson" Behrmann

--
Source Mage GNU/Linux | Karsten Behrmann | freenode IRC network
developer ISO team | | developer and staffer