sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git: cherry-pick whole directories

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git: cherry-pick whole directories
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:15:26 +0100

On Monday 22 January 2007 01:02, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> There actually are potentially ways to have git do the diffing for you but
> your approach is probably better since it's readable by bash gurus (instead
> of just git gurus) and it's very clear what it is doing.
I tried to do it just with git first, but didn't find a way. Now I also see
the second loop is redundant. ;)

> One thing I am not sure about is if it will work well enough when it runs
> into the common HISTORY file conflicts. Your second one addresses that
> explicitly; you might want to make the first check the return code of each
> cherry-pick as well and stop when it hits a problem, or the results might
> get ugly.
This script replays the whole history since the branches diverged and as
usually only master was later changed, there shouldn't be any conflicts if
the ordering is correct (in the most cases).

> When I was thinking about it I was pondering going so far as to make it
> read its own output for conflicts and automatically dump the user into
> $EDITOR to fix things and then continue on (using update-index, etc.).
> This is probably not _too_ hard to do if one of us wants to get time for
> it.
This was the plan with the interactive one. I had it start bash, but it
always
stole the input from the loop, broke and so I just put it out. Your other
mails show that it will have to be handled though.

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org