sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] what's "Sign-Off" mean precisely? (wiki: Stable-0.6)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] what's "Sign-Off" mean precisely? (wiki: Stable-0.6)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:38:17 +0100

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 02:10:42PM +0000, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 14:03, Mathieu L. wrote:
> <snip>
> > Strickly speaking, wget should not be signed off because of that bug,
> > but as this bug should occur quite rarely, and because we know how to
> > fix that breakage (just recast wget so that it links to the new
> > gettext), I have marked it as signed off. Especially because I don't
> > expect anyone to implement the fix we started talking about with
> > afrayedknot before our next release (and I know I won't have time either
> > to do it soon).
>
> I can agree that the fix isn't the simplest of operations, but I wouldn't
> be
> so sure about this being a rare bug. The gettext in stable is older than
> the
> gettext in stable-rc, and if the library has changed between those releases
> then that means a system-rebuild from stable to stable-rc will incapacitate
> wget whenever it's compiled against gettext (a fair portion of users, I'd
> guesstimate).

I based that "rarely" claim on the fact that _all_ devs currently
working on the shepherding should have followed the same steps as I did;
ie they should have done a system update from stable to stable-rc at
some point. And it seems I'm the only one who encountered that bug
during that process...
However I totally agree that even though it's easily fixable just after
the breakage, it is not a give a good impression at all to a new user if
he happens to tumble upon that bug.