sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let me show you why Source Mage sucks

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let me show you why Source Mage sucks
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:48:34 +0100

> 2) Not sure if it is possible but incremental grimoire update would be
> perfect. The download takes up to 5-6 minutes because of the slow server
> -connection. (using 2mbit connection, yes i have netselect installed and
> enabled)
Pick a different mirror. For me ibiblio was usually in the 5k/s ranges, but
then I switched to dtdm.org (there are a few other options) and it maxes my
download rates now. Grimoires have paths hardcoded afaik, netselect is used
for other source retrieval.

example:
scribe remove test
scribe add test from http://download.sourcemage.dtdm.net/codex/test.tar.bz2

> 3) prompt-delay
> There are questions that should never be skipped due to this delay. Lets
> assume I cast several spells. I would not have a look at the
> install/compile log, if everything works fine. Therefore I reduce the
> delay not to waste time.
> But very often I miss the important configure questions due to the slow
> update (see above) or because I don't like to sit here for three hours
> to wait for a possible need to interact running cleanse.
Like it was already said, if there is a query that is asked after the casting
starts, it is a bug. There is the config file exception, but it is fixed in
devel sorcery and it can't hurt your system either.
Also, you can turn the compile/install log queries off in the sorcery menu (I
wonder why this isn't the default).

cleanse is a different matter - there is no way of knowing what will need to
be fixed and how it will affect the other checks without actually doing it.
You could also use --nofix or --nofix_quick instead of --fix and then run the
suggested cast yourself.

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org