sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] security updates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] security updates
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:06:18 -0500

On Oct 19, David Kowis [dkowis AT shlrm.org] wrote:
> Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> > I really need to encourage section gurus to keep an eye out for security
> > updates affecting their sections, and general gurus to keep an eye out for
> > security updates in general. Several times now I've had to go back
> > through
> > CVE postings going back months and file bugs. I'm trying to find time to
> > do that again; the relevant mail folder here has over 100 messages in it,
> > and I've only seen us do 2 or 3 security updates in stable across that
> > same
> > time frame. These updates should take precedence over *any* other work if
> > we want to recommend ourselves to anyone as a distribution to use in a
> > connected environment.
>
> Is there a CVE mailing list? or do I need to search through the CVE
> postings all the time?
> http://cve.mitre.org/cve/ is the site, yes?

That's the site, I've not found a good place to get "just the ones we care
about". Both the full CVE list and things like bugtraq include all kinds
of stuff not relevant to us. What I mostly do now is monitor the security
lists of other linux distros that I know keep up on them, but that's just
to try to make sure we don't miss stuff forever, it's not an appropriately
aggressive way to get the info. ie, we should be updating our stuff before
or at least when other distros issue their alerts, not after.