sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Lubomir Blaha <tritol AT trilogic.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 16:18:47 +0200

On 27.09.2006 22:21:36 CEST Daniel Goller wrote:
> If you are still interested, please try:
>
> http://morfic.homelinux.org:8080/smgl-x86_64-silver-thistel.iso
>
> It sports an amd64 livecd, has the required tarball and tools included
> to install said tarball.
> after partitioning and formatting the created partitions a script
> ('enter_camelot') if used should ease installation on the disk.
> bootloader, /etc/fstab and passwd have to be manually installed/updated.
> the CD is meant to aid in installation until the final product of an
> amd64/x86_64 installer CD is finalized.

I followed your suggestion, discard whole / and start new install but
installation
from this source is not easy and I had some troubles, but I didn't give up
and now I have x86_64 box up and running with most of previously used
programs.
Thanks to all installer gurus that ordinal users can install SMGL easier way
:).

> your goal was to convert the system, which *SHOULD* be possible too,
> but is not for the faint of heart. It would save you more time to
> actually reinstall, just saving all config dirs (/etc/ and /home/.*) and
> data (/home)

...and downloaded sources of course, it takes about 3 GB and its no good to
download it again :)

> hope this helps

a lot! thanks

But I have few new questions:

1. Some programs are not x86_64 ready and some can't be (wine etc.). How
build these?
I have 32b emulation in kernel and smgl-emul32 but it probably need more.

2. I have been using destop SMGL to build SMGL on (slow) notebook via distcc.
Is
this still possible when platforms differs? (x86_64 vs. i586)

Lubomir

--
Real programmers disdain structured programming. Structured programming is
for compulsive neurotics who were prematurely toilet- trained. They wear

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b, Lubomir Blaha, 10/01/2006