sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stage-root now in devel sorcery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stage-root now in devel sorcery
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:07:18 -0700

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:52:36PM +0200, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> God job dmlb2000! :tup:
>
> I'm looking forward to removing the annoying self-conflict from kdelibs (7
> other such spells in test) - from what I understand, stage root fixes the
> problem. It would link against the already installed files if found, but
> now
> that it will be installing to a "fake" empty / ... :D

Its not an empty / that its installing to. Its just that write operations
(and subsequent reads of those written files) are transparently placed
elsewhere. To INSTALL it looks like things are happening normally.

Also, linking happens in BUILD, and this doesnt modify BUILD's environment
in any way. It might possible to also stage during BUILD (/usr/src is
exempted), in which case you could fake remove offending
libraries. Staging during BUILD could be an additional sanity check,
however in the past some spells have had issues with installwatch running
during BUILD.

So I think for the first round of stuff we'll hold off on that though. Don't
want to introduce too much churn all at once.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |