sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] probst for validating vote hashes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] probst for validating vote hashes
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 18:58:21 -0500

On May 20, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net [seth AT swoolley.homeip.net] wrote:
> I wrote a small bash function to calculate the hash:
>
> probst() {
> D="$(pgpdump -i)"
> for i in '' $(seq 2 1000) ; do
> echo "$D$i" | gpg --print-md sha512 | tr -d '\n ' | tr '[A-f]' '[a-f]'
> echo
> if [ "$1" == "$i" ]; then break; fi
> done
> }

FYI we *are* trying to move to using this on the latest vote, but there
were some communication problems. Apologies if people are getting multiple
hashes from Eric.

Most importantly we learned that pgpdump by default uses the local system
timezone to display the signature creation timestamp, this breaks the
property of the hashes matching whether created on Eric's machine or yours.
To force it to use UTC instead, use this instead:

probst() {
D="$(pgpdump -i -u)"
for i in '' $(seq 2 1000) ; do
echo "$D$i" | gpg --print-md sha512 | tr -d '\n ' | tr '[A-F]' '[a-f]'
echo
if [ "$1" == "$i" ]; then break; fi
done
}

(The -u to pgpdump is the operative bit, I also fixed a non-significant
typo.)