sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git question

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git question
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 13:03:27 +0200

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 12:33:31PM +0200, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> I use mainly the test grimoire from p4 or git.
> this works fine in most cases, but there are a few special cases such as
> glibc
> and gcc, for which I use the devel versions.
>

> 'git checkout' switches the visible version of the entire tree.
> When using git, how do I enable this setup, other than by making a local
> copy
> of the relevant spells?

I use a git branch as personal grimoire, pulling in changes from master
(test) and p4 every now and then. I'll attach my script to update a git
tree from p4, excluding the sections maintained in git.
To merge in other changes from git, it's just a matter of 'git pull .
master' while in the personal branch.

http://www.sourcemage.org
#!/bin/bash

P4LOC=$HOME/Work/sm-perforce/test
EXCLUDE="gnu i18n libs gnome1-apps gnome1-libs gnome2-apps gnome2-libs xfce"
p4 sync
for name in $P4LOC/*; do
b=$(basename $name)
if ! echo $EXCLUDE | grep -q "\<$b\>"; then
echo "synching $b from p4"
[[ -e $b ]] && rm -rf "$b"
cp -R $name .
chmod -R +w $b
fi
done

sudo scribe reindex my-grimoire
git add .
git commit -a -m "synch from p4 $(date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M)"