sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Big pile of...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Big pile of...
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:59:13 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Andrew "ruskie" Levstik wrote:
I think you all know what follows the title...

I've read through the voting thread and through the reorg thread.
Replied to both. So what I put here is a summary.

I'm basicaly getting sick and tired of this I guess bickering some
would call it.

For the voting proccess.
Fact 0.1: Not every likes an open voting process
Fact 0.2: Non-auditable voting is a bad thing
Fact 0.3: The proposed solution of hashing a vote and posting that
after the vote would solve both

Sergey yes I agree a fully open process is best but it just can't
be realized so the next best thing I can see is auditable closed
voting.

I think there has been said enough on this and should be decided by
all the devs in a vote(fully open since it would be informal only)
and then by ALL the TEAM LEADS as confirmation of said outcome.

You're tired of all the politiking, but then you want a vote? What's
the point in voting in leads if we have all the developers vote for
policy changes anways? The Leads are here to make these decisions, but
are polite enough to post to the lists to ask for feedback before
making a decision. The only votes we're (supposed) to have are for
voting in Team Leads. And technically, there is already a 'vote' for
adding the auditing when I asked if there were any more nays to doing
as Jeremy proposed. End of that discussion, IMO.

For the reorg:
Fact 1.1: Our teams might not be best organized
Fact 1.2: People support things they like/use/etc...

Regarding 1.1:
I find all of this talk of reorganization a bit to much...

It's mostly just an idea to try and reduce the amount of apparent
beauracracy we have.

basicaly Tome team needs to be reorganized along with PR
and related teams...
Taken from sandalle's post:
|-> Tome Lead (PL Assistant)
|-> Public Relations Team (Tome Assistant)
|-> Web Team (Tome Assistant)
|-> Server Team (Tome Assistant)
|-> Documentation Team (Tome Assistant)

This would be ok as I see it...
Then we need a separate QA team with relevant sub team
of security and since QA TESTS stable-rc it needs nothing from
grimoire other than to priorotize the bugs reported as primary.
Grimoire and Sorcery teams are to be kept separate as they have
things in common yet are completly separate.

The cauldron team RELIES on ALL the above teams.

Tome for documentation, QA for tested stable grimoire,
Grimoire for the rest, Sorcery for the main tool to install.

We can't really reogranize this much unless we completly drop
ALL the teams are just start doing dependency ordering like we do
for spells.

Keep in mind that my reorganization chart was an /example/ for opening
up discussion.

Regarding 1.2

I find that heathly it means stuff that is used is maintained properly.
As for the stuff that almost nobody uses. Well there's always bugzilla
for outside reports on that. So if someone does find a problem that is
critical it is reported. The only problem then is that any fixing of said
problem isn't enforced. That's where a team lead steps in. Either delegate
who should fix/ask for a volunteer/something. And pester them.

That's somewhat how it goes now. People volunteer to maintain
sections/packages/teams that they're interested in, and we have Team
Leads to try and coordinate and make sure that bugs are being fixed.

As for oadae's TL/PL should lead not work I don't agree. THe ammount of
developers
is scarce we ALL need to pitch in. Else it's part of the problem not the
solution.

I guess I'll have to go read the other threads, as I'm not sure what
you're talking about here.

Now can we please lay all of this to rest for good.

I'm getting tired of politics... but I really enjoy being a smgl dev...

We all are, and the threads were not meant to be so controversial, but
rather say, 'Hey, we think we might want to do something about this.
<insert name here> propose that we do <insert proposal here>." and
then we see what people think.

Don't make it so bad that people start to leave(I'm considering it with
regards
of all of this political nonsense).

Why? Everywhere you go you'll find spats of political nonsense. For
how long we've been around I'd say we're doing fairly well. :)

- -sandalle

- --