sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Adding gnupg to every spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Adding gnupg to every spell
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:32:05 -0600

On Feb 08, Sergey A. Lipnevich [sergey AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Instead of adding gnupg to every spell, can't we make it part of the
> base system? If sorcery needs it, it must be in the basesystem anyway.
> And we can avoid those tons of changes in p4.
> Same is probably true for smgl-fhs, although I know little about this one.

The problem as I understand it is that even with it in basesystem, there's
no ordering of the basesystem spells themselves without explicit
dependencies. So everything in basesystem theoretically needs to depend on
gnupg/smgl-fhs/etc. to make sure they're there first.

I'm still not all that comfortable with this solution, as it seems bloated
and not very clean or elegant. The basesystem spells do not depend on
gnupg themselves, our process does. If our processes and systems requires
a certain set of spells be cast first and in a specific order, even before
the rest of basesystem is cast, should we consider a pre-basesystem spell
or otherwise hardcoding that list in sorcery? Or making basesystem cast
it's depends in listed order, or something? Andrew?