sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] State of x86_64^Wppc

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] State of x86_64^Wppc
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:14:06 -0600

On Dec 08, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, David Kowis wrote:
> <snip>
> > The majority of our users are on i486 compatible systems. I've
> > personally only heard requests for ppc ISO's from afrayedknot and
> > sandalle. Sandalle has mentioned that since we "officially" support it,
> > we should have one (Forgive me if I recall incorrectly.) I believe that
>
> Correct. :)
>
> > it would be better to forge ahead with x86 ISOs over ppc support. PPC
> > support can be added later once the x86 iso has matured. The scripts
> > will support doing a ppc build, but there are complications with ppc
> > that are slowing us down. And a lack of testing, which I'm partly to
> > blame for. I've got a perfectly good ppc on a table in my computer room
> > that I'm using to test. I could probably sacrifice more time to test
> > than I have been, however, I'm not a PPC guru so when I test and
> > encounter problems on the PPC I have no clue how to hack past them. PPC
> > is completely new to me. We've gotten a shotgun test ISO that tests out
> > booting of kernels, which seems to be the major hurdle with the PPC,
> > once we get past that, the rest of the ISO /should/ be fine and the
> > generation scripts do put together a working installation CD.
> <snip>
>
> I would like us to at least try and get a 0.9.5 x86 /and/ PPC ISO out
> the door. If the 0.9.5 PPC ISO ends up having issues that our
> ISO/Cauldron Team does not have the time/equipment to sort out and no
> PPC users come forth to volunteer their time/systems then I'll agree
> to /temporarily/ drop PPC until the x86 ISOs are near perfect. :)
> After that, then we can look at PPC/x86_64/etc.
>
> As always, feel free to disagree with me. :)

I brought it up again because the recent traffic of #sourcemage-cauldron
indicates that we're past that "if" now. Getting 0.9.5 on ppc has issues
they don't appear to have time to sort out. We seem to have enough
equipment but not the time to make use of it. We have testers but not time
to coordinate testing. Etc.

0.9.6 is supposed to be out in less than a week, and the current rate of
ppc progress makes it clear we won't have a 0.9.5 ppc by then. We either
need to put 0.9.6 off or call no 0.9.5 ppc. (Well, we could do 0.9.6 x86
and then 0.9.5 ppc, but that doesn't make a lot of sense.) If we do no
0.9.5 ppc we either try again on 0.9.6 or say it realistically should wait
til we're ready to do it, which it sounds like is where we are.