sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] g++ removal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] g++ removal
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:06:28 -0800

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 06:01:07AM -0600, Robin Cook wrote:
> Just curious,
>
> Is there a reason that g++ is being removed from everything instead of
> being made an option? Same with other items like examples?
>
> CuZnDragon
> Robin Cook

You must be referring to my recent bison edit.

bison doesn't require g++, but an example used it. the example code
doesn't even need to compile (usually they aren't even installed).

So removing the bison examples 1) save compile time and 2) don't bork on
a machine without g++ installed. Even with g++ installed the spell as
installed would be identical (I tested it), so there was no reason to
have g++ as a depend except for the wasteful example compile.

Hope that explains that situation. If it's some other edit, I can't
explain it to you (unless you're referring to some spells with broken
configure scripts that require g++ but the spells don't actually use it
due to a bug in a certain version of the autotools that some developers
used to package their sources).

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733