sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] publishing grimoire tarballs (was: PERFORCE change 69559 by Eric Sandall for review)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] publishing grimoire tarballs (was: PERFORCE change 69559 by Eric Sandall for review)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:13:56 -0600

Moving this to a ML...

On Nov 17, Seth Alan Woolley [seth AT tautology.org] wrote:
> Here's my plan:
>
> We're using local keys now to publish grimoires now as a matter of
> unimplemented policy.

We're using locally-stored keys on the other grimoires only as a matter of
(incidental) fact, though there has been discussion about making it policy
for other reasons. But right now we're using the same keys we've been
using and indeed have to keep using until any other (individual) keys can
make it to the users in a reasonable time.

> So I'll start implementing with stable-rc.
>
> I'll make a how-to for people who need to create personal keys for the
> grimoire based off the process I follow for creating my personal
> stable-rc key. When we've all had a chance to look at the process, we
> can immediately republish stable-rc and work on intregrating new keys
> into the stable and test/games/z-rejected keysets.

I don't think we want to see stable-rc tarballs held up while we come to
consensus on new policy. We didn't elect to stop doing what we were doing
before, the server broke. It's fine to make incidental improvements while
we're rebuilding anyway but we shouldn't make policy change discussions a
dependency for getting stuff going again. I don't know what kind of
timeline you were thinking there, but IMO anything that takes longer than
this weekend to get a stable-rc tarball generated again is too long.

We started to make good progress for a while there and had some monthly
goals going toward 1.0, I hate to see us ending up with months between
stable ISO and grimoire releases again.

> By this weekend or next I should be able to tell if I can run the test
> publishing on my own server as emrys wanted that to be done off-site and
> pushed to the main site.

I'm not trying to prescribe anything there, just giving my .02. The
process and policy for how test tarballs get pushed is way more up to Arwed
IMO. Just keep in mind that we are hosting these from ibiblio and don't
even have a p4 sandbox there (that I know of).

> Ruskie could also push games (instead of me) to the server, in fact,
> since he does most editing it might be best if he does that.

If we decide we don't care if we use a server-side key to sign
test/games/z-rejected, I can set up a p4 sandbox on the dedicated box and
push them to ibiblio from there. If we decide we want to keep the keys on
developer machines only regardless of grimoire, that doesn't work. I'll
suggest that's Arwed's decision, but I don't know what Eric's and other
opinions are.