sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] 0.9.5-rc2 released (security bug on -rc)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] 0.9.5-rc2 released (security bug on -rc)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:23:57 +0200

Hi all!
I've spotted a flaw on the recent 0.9.5-rc ISO:
/etc/shadow is installed with the wrong permissions, it is world-readable.

This is a security bug, it means that local users can brute-force any other
user's password (including root's).

Therefore, I've released an -rc2 ISO that has this bug fixed. The old
-rc has been relocated to a folder for security-flawed ISOs.

This fix should not affect anything else, so we should be able to release
0.9.5 on schedule if nothing else comes up.

So Far,
Karsten

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org