sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] openssl 0.9.8a/0.9.7h

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] openssl 0.9.8a/0.9.7h
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:49:16 +0200

Change 67748 by ladislav_hagara@lace-matrix on 2005/10/11 16:29:41

openssl 0.9.8a integrated to stable-rc 0.3
security fix: http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20051011.txt
it should be probably integrated to stable
problem 0.9.7g -> 0.9.8a, users of stable will have to recompile all openssl related spells

It looks like there is a 0.9.7h to fix this for the 0.9.7 branch,
perhaps stable should go to that instead?

Personally I would integrated 0.9.8a to stable.
Version 0.9.7h only postpone this "Big Recompilation".
Version 0.9.8 was integrated to test grimoire on 2005/08/31.

It depends on you. Next three days I will be off-line (Hamburg Linux
Kongress).

openssl 0.9.8 should wait for up_triggers to be in stable sorcery so the
upgrade is smooth. Integrating it to stable-rc was probably a mistake,
integrating it to stable would aflict all the pain and suffereing that
went along with what happened in test on people expecting stable to
actually be stable. Thats completely against the whole idea of stable.

Use the 0.9.7 version, and i suggest security team thinks a little more
carefully about quality and using the minimal patchset for fixing issues
in stable. Not imposing a still fairly untested abi update on users.

Forwarded to sm-discuss so all developers/users know about openssl security problem.
Devel, test and stable-rc have already 0.9.8a version.
Ad stable-rc) I only integrated from 0.9.8 to 0.9.8a.
IMHO, "cast --fix" or "sorcery system-update" fixes all openssl related problems.
It depends on you.

--
lace