sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] coreutils su problem ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] coreutils su problem ?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:26:17 -0700

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 10:29 am, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> I have just encountered a problem when starting a service which worked
> previously.
>
> I eventually traced it to
>
> $ su firebird
> su: user firebird does not exist
>

> but
> $grep "firebird" /etc/*
> /etc/group:firebird:x:84:treeve
> /etc/passwd:firebird:x:84:84:::
> /etc/shadow:firebird:!:12992:0:99999:7:::
>
> # useradd -u 84 firebird
> useradd: user firebird exists
>

> there appears to be a problem with su from coreutils-5.3.0

I think it's possible that quite a bit has changed with that version of
coreutils. I have discovered that mv no longer works in renaming directories
when the destination has a trailing slash. I suspect there are many spells
that will have to be modified because of that.

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.