sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ISO/Installer bug process improvement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ISO/Installer bug process improvement
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:32:06 -0500

Hello,

I'd like to let everyone know about a bit of ISO/Installer bug process changes
(improvements hopefully :) )
There's two new flags for Installer bugs:
Fixed in devel
Re-Verify on latest ISO

Fixed in devel: This means that the code to fix the bug has been written and
is
in our SCM (p4 at the moment). Reason for this being, ISO generation takes a
"non-zero" amount of time. Code fixes may be submitted but it might be up to a
week, or longer, until the code is actually evident on an ISO.

Re-Verify on latest ISO: This means that a bug might have fallen to a back
burner and the problem may not exist anymore. Since we're moving to the next
generation scripts, there's a bunch of "old" bugs that were filed against the
0.9.4 series of ISO s that need revalidation against the new ones. That's
mostly
the reason for this flag, to clean out our "cobweb" bugs.

The process of Installer bugs should go like this:
1. A bug is submitted
* Fill in all the fields! (Hardware and Version are really important)
2. It then gets assigned to someone who'll work on it.
3. Then when the bug gets fixed in the SCM (p4) the flag "Fixed in devel" will
be set
4. After the ISO comes out, all bugs that have been marked with the flag
"Fixed
in devel" will be marked "Fixed"
5. Then it's up to the bug submitters/ISO testers to verify that they've been
fixed.

For the Re-Verify process:
1. A developer will flag a bug "re-verify" -> "?"
2. Then the submitter/ISO tester should ensure that they've got the latest and
greatest ISO and verify the bug's existence
* If it's still valid "re-verify" -> "+"
* If it's no longer valid "re-verify" -> "-"
3. The bug will then be dealt with accordingly

All the bugs that have been marked fixed need to be verified before the next
ISO
is released to ensure that progress is being made and our releases are solid.

Thanks for your time,

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find
easier
ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein