sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Improved Sorcery Trigger Support

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Improved Sorcery Trigger Support
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:14:16 -0700

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 02:07:28PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Andrew wrote:
> >Hi, given the recent concerns over the openssl update I decided
> >to go ahead and implement the solution I outlined below in devel
> >sorcery. Disclaimer: this is in the "proof of concept" phase, its not
> >completely ironed out, Im adding it so other interested parties can try it
> >out and we can iterate on improvements if need be (bazaar style). Swoolley
> >is going to update the openssl spell in test grimoire to try this out.
>
> Awesome, thanks! :)
>
> >from the spell maintainers perspective you add a file called "UP_TRIGGERS"
> >(for lack of a better name), in it you call a function called "up_trigger"
> >for each spell thats going to break due to an abi change (or whatever).
> >
> >Heres a brief example:
> >for each in $(gaze depends $SPELL 1|cut -f1 -d:); do
> > up_trigger $each cast_self
> >done
>
> How does it determine an ABI/API change? (note I have not RTFC)

Thats up to the spell, as it should be.

> >This is almost exactly the same as placing a TRIGGERS file in each of
> >the spells that depend on openssl, but hopefully easier.
>
> Is there a reason we're adding another file instead of using the
> TRIGGERS file for this?

The TRIGGERS file runs on the triggeree's side which are run as a sort
of reaction to events happening. As a result you need lots of planning
and lots of TRIGGERS files. This is a way for the triggerer (I love these
names) to make effectively one-time triggers on all the spells that its
going to break, it happens from the reverse perspective.

> >from the users perspective the following will happen: all the spells
> >that depend on openssl (in this case) will automatically get added to
> >the list of spells to cast. Hopefully after cast completes there wont
> >be any spells broken due to ssl update; thats the goal at least.
>
> Only if the (e.g.) openssl ABI changed, not on every update, correct?
> Or is this just on all version changes? The last is still better than
> every cast and is probably much easier/cleaner to do than to figure
> out ABI/API changes for every library.

It's up to the spell when it should setup these "up_triggers", Im just
providing the tools, not making the decisions. The intention is that it
happens on an abi incompatible update, some level of guru expertise is
needed for that.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |