sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] LWN article

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] LWN article
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:48:14 -0700

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:27:13PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Seth,
>
> LWN article is pure goodness, thanks a lot! I'd like to use this LWN
> article URL
> as a reference, so I wanted to add some comments to LWN page that I think
> are
> important. I'd like to add three things, but wanted to check with you and
> people here first to make sure it comes from all of us:
>
> 1. Dependency system in sorcery is powerful but flexible at the same time;
> it's
> integrated with configuration of spells (aka packages) and allows for
> mandatory, optional, or configuration-specific dependencies; [a good short
> example would be great here, or a page link with an example].

Jeremy's page here is great for this:

http://www.sourcemage.org/node/1456

> 2. We would support an RPM-based or other binary package if the only way to
> install it is from RPM, on case by case basis. Support includes integrity
> checking of binaries and may also include providing required version of
> GCC's
> runtime. Alternatively, users' spells can be maintained in private grimoires
> (aka package collections) for user-specific installations. For example, we
> would try to support RPM-based Oracle or WebLogic installation if there's
> user
> interest, and we provide tools to support them in a private grimoire. We
> support binary installation of Sun's Java now, provided that a user
> downloads
> the binary themselves. We also support Perforce as an example of package
> that
> needs GCC 3.3 runtime while we're already at 3.4 (in stable and test
> grimoires)
> and at 4.0 in development grimoire.
>
> 3. For those who like their kernels customized with patches or coming from
> other
> kernel developers' source trees, many patches and branches are already
> supported
> "out of the box", are presented in a visual interface, and will be carried
> forward should the kernel be updated. If there's a GPL patch you need, it
> should be easy to include it in our "linux" spell, recently streamlined and
> vastly improved by our developer David Brown.
>
> It's long so maybe I should try to shorten the text. Anyway, please let me
> know.
> Thanks!

Looks good so far.

Feel free to offer any comments you wish! Thanks goes to Alex for
getting it published. :)

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733