sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xfree84 4.5.0 problems

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ondra Tomecka <otom7630 AT lucy.troja.mff.cuni.cz>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xfree84 4.5.0 problems
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:11:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Eric Sandall wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Ondra Tomecka wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just rebooted my notebook (after 50 days it's just about time to change
> > kernel and X server and all) and when I tried to start Xserver, I got
> > duplicate symbol __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx in libpcidata.a and libbitmap.a
> > modules. Which quite surprised me, but the result is still the same: no X
> > server (some old cleanse --sweep deleted 4.4.0 cache:( ).
> >
> > Did anyone else run into this problem? I checked xfree86's bugzilla but
> > there was nothing recent, there is one bug with this but dated to 4.3.x
> > series.
> >
> > I will try to work around this somehow but if anyone can give me some
> > clue, that would help a lot.
>
> - From what I remember the fix wasn't ever found, but various 'methods'
> fixed it for some people:
>
> 1) Dispelling xfree86 and then doing a `cast -r -c xfree86`
> 2) Switching to xorg
> 3) Doing a `sorcery rebuild`
> 4) Recasting xfree86 with various font options enabled/disabled
> 5) Praying to your god(s)
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> - -sandalle

Option 2) helped in the end. I tried all others first, but even heavy
meddling with font options didn't help :( Lucky me to have fast
number-cruncher so xfree86 compilation took something like 20 minutes :)

Even xorg caused trouble and I finally forced it to compile by modifying
one deeply submerged makefile during the cast (it is created during make
World so patching it before this command woudln't help). Maybe some more
meddling with font options would cause the problem to go away but I just
needed it to compile and not to worry about the right options. Just for a
reference if someone needs it, it was xc/lib/font/Makefile, removing
BUILTINSTATICOBJS from STATICOBJS variable, as it pointed to non-existant
directory builtin/unshared.

What was the problem with xfree86 I didn't manage to find out, maybe I
will delve into it someday if I have time (which is unlikely :( )

Anyway thanks for suggestions

Andy