sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] prefix in ~ when casting as user

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] prefix in ~ when casting as user
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:03:35 +0200

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:52:21PM +0200, Mathieu L. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today at the lab someone made a comment while I was installing a Debian
> on a colleague's laptop, he said:
> "And when you do 'apt-get install whatever_package' as a user, does it
> install it anyway but prefixing to the user's home?" Which of course is
> not the way it goes under Deb, one has to be root to install.
> So I was pondering what you would all think about that implemented in
> smgl? It could be usefull on a multiuser machine when the admin is
> really reluctant with sudo imo. Is it feasible? do you think it's worth
> doing it?

It is theoretically feasible. With the whole TRACK_ROOT and INSTALL_ROOT
infrastructure sorcery could allow a cast --user that automatically sets
all those paths up to be in the user home directory. By far not all
spells are using those variables correctly right now, but such a feature
could be an additional incentive to fix those spells.

P.S: I'm not that familiar with the sorcery internals, so it might be
harder than I'm naively imagining ;)

http://www.sourcemage.org