sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Quill and freshmeat.net

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Quill and freshmeat.net
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:03:39 -0700

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 03:35:45PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Quoting "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>:
>
> > I already put it in the modularized but it still requires lot's
> > of cleaning up...
> > So if anyone is up to it feel free to nose around and try to make it
> > work...
> > I haven't yet tested the modularized code but I belive it's in
> > semi-working
> > order...
>
> Do you mean just the FM patch or the whole quill?
>
> Anyway, I'll take a look. I'm curious if maybe we can elaborate on that
> code and
> make updates to spells more automated. We could include a pointer such as
> Freshmeat name into a spell, and run some kind of autoupdate script on it.
> The
> process would be similar to the script in php-pear section: a maintainer
> would
> run the autoupdate and then cast autoupdated spells to see if they work (or
> submit updates without casting if s/he's lazy ;-) ).

This has come up before, I've suggested having the process be even more
automated and having a persistent script walk through spells (with some
exclusions) updating them in a seperate branch then testing the updates
with prometheus. Spells that work can be bulk integrated to devel and
then to test, spells that fail can be marked as such automatically and
then be repaired by gurus. That would take a huge amount of grunt work
out of grimoire maintainence and only the more complex updates would
need attention.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |