sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO spell installation method (Was: [Private mail]Cauldron Team Email Meeting)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO spell installation method (Was: [Private mail]Cauldron Team Email Meeting)
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:32:26 -0700

Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:
I'll try and hash out some of the requirements based on how I would
quantify them.

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 04:35:09PM -0500, David Kowis wrote:
<snip>
Easy to maintain.
How can this be measured?
Perhaps better would be:
- - Installer will be modularly built, such that each module is one menu item in
the installer.

I think theres two goals here. The first is the code itself is
maintainable. In other words, someone reports a bug, it should be easy
to look at the bug and figure out what section of code is causing the
bug and to fix the code itself. The other goal is to have that fix
presented to the user in a timely fashion. It isn't totally obvious which
one is being referenced here.

I think he's mainly talking about the first point: Easy to identify the
offending code and fix it. The other goal (new ISO in a timeley
fashion) is more geared towards our goal of automating the ISO creation
process.
<snip>
Keep ISO size down.
Below what threshold are we talking about here? To me under 700MB is fine. But
that my not be sufficiently small for others. IIRC, the community wants it to
remain under 200Mb for those little card CDs?
- - Total ISO size will remain at or below 200mb as a finished product.

How high of a priority is this? Does it gate releasing the iso? Is it
a higher priority than maintainable code or an iso factory? Not
necessarily saying it shouldn't but I think it should be decided.

I'd say that this goal should not stop the ISO in any way. We should
work on getting new ISOs out. Once that process is down pat then we can
start working on minimizing the ISO, or even producing a -minimal ISO
for those who want the smaller version (with reduced functionality
[e.g. no man pages]).

<snip>
I think the first step for this is to prioritize and order all the bugs into
releases they'll be fixed in. The iso "works" when all the bugs for that
release are fixed and all the enhancements targeted for that release a working.

I think some of that work has been done, but it is a bit disorganized.

-sandalle

eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61 | http://www.sourcemage.org/
http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @
WSU