sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] linux-new call

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] linux-new call
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 08:47:52 +0200

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 02:33:23PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:

Hi all

<snip>

> >I do not understand why the default answer for "Would you like to
> >have linux-new update your bootloader?" is no.
> >Again, users are not interested is some options. Just "sorcery
> >system-updated" should update all system including linux-new and
> >updating bootloader.
> >This default answer can cause for example that the linux kernel
> >2.8.8 is installed but user still use 2.6.10 due to the old lilo.conf.
>
> It's safer to default not to modify someone's boot config in case they
> did mess up on the kernel config. This way at least their system will
> boot no matter how bad they screwed up the new compile (unless they're
> replacing the old kernel, but then modifying the boot config wouldn't
> have helped either).

And I, for one, is glad this kind of message now defaults to "no" because
here my /boot partition is not mounted by default (to protect it from
stupid users like me ;) ) so linux spell used to fail when I forgot to
mount it before casting the spell. (because it couldn't update the
bootloader).

Cheers,
Mathieu.

--
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.