sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Magebox: loading..

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Magebox: loading..
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:45:30 -0700

Quoting Wourgs <sourcemage AT gmail.com>:
Dear Source Mages..

I'm writing this letter/mail from an modded Xbox machine using Xebian
(a version of Debian to Xbox) using the controller as mouse and the
common USB keyboard. But as you already know, I would rather run
Source Mage GNU/Linux on this Xbox. This project is started and has
got the name: Magebox Experiment.

I would like you to be updated and get as much knowledge of this as
much as I have now, so that some of you hopefully can help me a bit.

The goal: Porting Source Mage to Xbox.

Requirements: The requirements are as follows:

A special .iso image of Source Mage GNU/Linux:

You'll probably have to roll your own ISO, but once the Cauldron scripts
are done that should be fairly easy.

1. A patched kernel with one of the kernel patches made by the
Xbox-Linux team (direct URL to kernel patches:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=54192&package_id=1474)

Have you submitted a patch to add that patch to linux-new?

2. There must be a linuxboot.cfg file in the root directory of the
.iso image.. Example on a simple linuxboot.cfg:

title AMeaningfulTitle (max 30 chars)

kernel /path/to/kernelimage

initrd /path/to/initrd

append kbd-reset root=/dev/rootdevice

title AnotherMeaningfulTitle (max 30 chars)

kernel /path/to/differentkernelimage

initrd /path/to/differentinitrd

append kbd-reset root=/dev/differentrootdevice

default AMeaningfulTitle

3. A linuxboot.cfg file in the bootable partition..

I'm a bit busy in this week, but I will do the best, I can to get
further with this projects, and I will be at the IRC server mostly, if
you have some questions :)

Comments are welcome! Whether they are bad or good.. :)

Sincerely Amel Durakovic (amel & wourgs)

Enjoy the hacking. ;)

-sandalle

eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61 | http://www.sourcemage.org/
http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @