sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] My final call!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Amel Durakovic <sourcemage AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] My final call!
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 21:46:44 +0200

Hi everyone!

I'm glad, that I've been nominated for the PR team.. Thanks! No matter
where you put your vote, or how the final result will look like, I'll
still be here and use SMGL!

I've noticed, that some of you doesn't know me, so I'll present myself
once again (my final call).

I've been participating in several projects, and it has given me some
experience, which I want to contribute with here in this project. What
I've noticed especially, is the way, the projects "sent" their message
to the web.

In other words: I've seen projects get overpopulated by newbeginners,
who all needed help with the system, and my contribution in the forums
and at IRC made me proud. It turned out to be a successful way to
handle the newcomers, but I left due to some problems with the project
leader.

What amazed me about these projects, was the way, they handled the
PR.. It was very effective, and their key was: distrowatch. The page
is a source to all the newbeginners, and all the users, who want to
explore more of Linux. By making more .iso releases, it'll give the
users even more news about SMGL. That'll make them curious, and that
means more users. Reviews are also necessary, and they contribute with
new users, too.

Now you'll probably wonder: How in the world is he going to handle
these newcomers? Just look at Gentoo, and you'll see, that it's ruined
by newcomers! You can't even ask a question at their IRC channel?!

Well.. I've made a suggestion:
By making video tutorials, so that we can reduce a bit of the number
of questions asked.
By guiding the newcomer better, maybe by making a new channel:
#sourcemage-newb, so that our main channel won't get overflooded.
By writing even more documentation.

I see your fears: When Source Mage GNU/Linux gets big, it'll reduce
our control of the project. This also has happened in reality with
great kingdoms, that fall apart and lose control, but I want everyone
to have the chance of trying such an excellent operating system. This
is not a thing, you should miss..

Source Mage GNU/Linux needs it! SMGL needs you!

Remember: A stranger is a friend, you haven't met.. A new user is a
potential developer.. Everyone has been new users, so we are all
potential developers, who need knowledge in order to contribute! Help
us, help SMGL!

That's my final call!

Sincerely Amel Durakovic (amel or wourgs)

  • [SM-Discuss] My final call!, Amel Durakovic, 05/09/2005