sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] enthrall, smgl's very own menu generator

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] enthrall, smgl's very own menu generator
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 00:21:59 +0200

Hi everybody,

I've been working on a menu generator called enhrall for quite some time now.
But I do need more feedback and/or help to make it more usefull.
there's some info on the wiki:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Menu+Generating

Enthrall is in the grimoires, so you should be able to just cast it ;)
It works (mostly) according to the specs on menu generation as explained on
freedesktop.org.
The currently supported windowmanagers are:

aewm
afterstep
blackbox
deskmenu
enlightenment (just e16 user menus and still only in p4)
fluxbox
golem
icewm
ion
kahakai
openbox
pekwm
pwm
qvwm
waimea
windowmaker
xfce4-session

I'd like to have the people using any of these windowmanagers to try enthrall.
If you find any bugs, please let me know :)

Also, as it works using the desktop files found in (amongst other places)

/usr/share/applications

Where I need help:
1) We need to provide those desktop files for any spell which doesn't install
one itself. Adding them to the grimoire is as easy as putting it into a dir
called "desktop" in the spell's dir. You can look at the files already in
/usr/share/applications for examples, they're really easy to write ;)
Those files are also used by GNOME, KDE and the default XFCE
installation, so they're worth adding ;)

2) enthrall itself, it could really use proper submenu ordering. That's the
only part where it doesn't follow the freedesktop.org specs.
The code isn't the cleanest you've ever seen, but hey, it works ;)

3) There's a couple of backends which still need to be written.
FVWM and e17 (being the hardest) were saved for last.
The backends live in /var/lib/enthrall for the brave souls who want to try
writing one.

As I'm currently way too busy with RL to work on those 3 issues, I'd like to
ask anyone to help out. Every grimoire guru can help add desktop files to
spells and for p4 access to enthrall you can ask sandalle or afrayedknot on
#sourcemage

A long story short: help!

Arjan Bouter

+=======
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
http://www.sourcemage.org
Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.
GnuPG Key 79D4B14E = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E
+===

  • [SM-Discuss] enthrall, smgl's very own menu generator, Arjan Bouter, 05/08/2005