sm-discuss - RE: [SM-Discuss] unable to install sourcemage (no root)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • To: register AT flintz.de, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [SM-Discuss] unable to install sourcemage (no root)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:53:20 -0500 (EST)

>Hi there!
>
>I recently received my new notebook and I am planing to install Sourcemage
>on it. But sadly I am stuck quite at the beginning of the
>installation-process.
>I boot from the CD with the newest image (9.3 i386), hit enter and then get
>to the initrd menu. There I try "Continue booting" but then I receive this
>message: "Unable to boot without a root"
>I tried a older image (9.2 with 2.4 kernel) but this version even got my pc
>crashed after saying something about beein unable to mount the cd-rom.
>My laptop has only an external CD-drive which is connected via firewire.
>
>Does anybody have an idea how I could solve this problem?
>Thanks in advance

Well you can manually try to specify a root device in the initrd menu
you might have to go to a shell and see what's under /dev
I'm not familiar with firewire and what support is needed in the kernel
for it and if that support is available on the iso...

might need to file a bug to add that.

- David Brown

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com